It’s almost that time of year again and we’re gearing up for the spring career fair at the Classic Center. Our resumes are polished, dress pants are ironed, and elevator speech prepared.
Well…for the most part.
If you’re looking for some sure-fire, easy ways to make the best impression on Wednesday, you’ve come to the right place! Follow these steps and you will be career fair ready in no time.
1. Upload your resume to RecPass so employers will be able to view your resume electronically on their iPad. Follow the steps listed here: https://recpass.com/university-of-georgia
2. Print a few paper copies of your resume on resume paper just to have on hand. Resume paper has a heavier weight than standard inkjet paper and is available at Tate Print & Copy center (shouldn’t set you back more than $1). Plan to bring a portfolio or simple pocket folder to stash copies of your resume and any handouts an employer may give you.
3. Try on what you plan to wear in advance. You will avoid unnecessary stress the day of the event if an item of clothing needs ironing or mending. We recommend professional dress, i.e. a suit for guys and a suit or professional blouse and skirt/slacks for girls. Make sure that you have comfortable shoes and matching socks.
4. Research companies that you plan to talk to. Aim to be able to tell an employer why you are interested in their company and remember to come prepared with any questions you may have. Create a list of employers that you plan to talk to so you can remain focused at the event. You can find a list of all employers here: https://uga-csm.symplicity.com/events/students.php?mode=list&cf=SCF2014
5. Get some sleep so you are refreshed and at your best!
6. When you arrive at the career fair, check in with Career Center staff and receive your name tag. Pick up a map of the employer tables so you can get your bearings. Last but not least, take a deep breath and get ready to put your networking skills to use– you are confident, capable and prepared!
Best of luck to everyone attending the career fair on Wednesday. The CDI’s look forward to seeing you there!